"Let the beauty you love be what you do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground." - Rumi

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Binding

By Raven Kaldera

I am an Ordeal Master.

I’ve been trained in many different forms of ordeal, and I am learning new forms all the time. Some are simple, some require many hours of work and training. I have always been careful, and no one who has ever come before me and asked for an ordeal has had complaints about my skill or my dedication. They have all come away satisfied.

I’ve been lucky, and I’ve been careful. The second was drummed into me by those who taught me. The first may largely be the protection of my patron deity.

When people want an ordeal, generally they go by word of mouth. They ask around, and eventually someone refers them to someone. In a way, that’s good – it means that people can get an opinion from someone who actually worked on them, or their loved ones. I’m not just a professional in a book. I do also encourage would-be clients to talk to other people who I’ve worked with, to encourage trust and openness.

However, it occurred to me that there could be something more – something that could be entered into that would show clearly the honest intention and good faith of an Ordeal Master. I prayed about this, and was given the words below.

The words below are not an oath. They are a very specific binding spell. They are Pagan, but nondenominational. The spell will bind the Ordeal Master who submits freely and willingly. They will utilize a string with a drop of their blood on it, and this will be bound loosely around their hands and knotted in such a way that it can be removed without untying the knots, similar to a handfasting cord. The words should be spoken in the presence of a representative of a deity of justice or honor or boundaries, such as Tyr or Forseti or Dike or Saturn or Ma’at. That person will be given the cord to keep safe forever.

This way, if someone comes to you and asks, “Have you taken the binding? Who holds your bond?” you can answer with their name and contact information, and they will swear that you were bound in their presence.

Should the Ordeal Master attempt to do something with a good chance of harm to the person for whom they are doing the ordeal, something will suddenly go wrong – something small and annoying, not large and life-threatening. Perhaps several small and annoying things. The car will break down on the way, everyone will come down with a bad cold, mice will have chewed the ropes and dogs gnawed on the implements, a pipe will burst, it will rain, the only needle will slip and land in the dirt, whatever … and it will quietly prevent havoc from happening.

I am not saying that this should be a requirement, or the certification of some theoretical group. This should only be entered into because the Ordeal Master in question believes it to be the right thing to do. There should be no pressure to enspell one’s self. However, to willingly bind yourself to keep others safe is an honorable thing. The spell is specifically written not to interfere with the lawful command of any deity; its primary prevention is our own mistakes. We are all human, and we all err, and we should want to do our best and be prevented from doing harm if possible.

I will be taking this binding publicly at Dark Moon Rising, a Pagan BDSM campout, this September. I welcome any other Ordeal Masters to take it alongside me, but only if they can do it with a whole heart.

*************************************************************************************

O Gods and spirits, hear my words.

I submit myself freely and willingly

To be bound by the powers of the Universe

And this bond to be held unbreakable

Though ego and pride rage against it,

All the days of my work on this razor’s edge.


If I should misunderstand the words

Of the Gods and spirits

Who guide my hands in this work,

Such that there is a good chance

Of harming the one who is in my care,

May I be thwarted by some small thing

And be prevented from doing harm.


If I should undertake some practice

In which I am not yet skilled enough

Alone, and with no elder hands to aid,

Such that there is a good chance

Of harming the one who is in my care,

May I be thwarted by some small thing

And be prevented from doing harm.


And should the Gods and spirits

Who guide my hands in this work

Wish to humble and disgrace me

For my foolishness or pride,

If it is such that they have

The lawful right to do so,

May it be done in such a way

That no one is harmed

Who should not have been harmed,

And may no blame or stain cling to the name

Of any save myself,

And may the nature of the lesson

Be made clear to my opened eyes.


O Gods and spirits, hear my words.

I submit myself freely and willingly

To be bound by the powers of the Universe

And this bond to be held unbreakable

Though desire and fear rage against it,

All the days of my work on this razor’s edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment